The United Way of Marshall County is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Job Title: Member, Board of Directors
Responsible To: President, Board of Directors United Way of Marshall County
Staff Resource: Executive Director, United Way of Marshall County
Length of Commitment: Three year term (a volunteer may serve 2, consecutive three year terms)
- Six to ten hours per month or more
- Attend a mandatory Board Orientation (1/2 day commitment)
- Attend monthly Board Meetings (2 hours per month)
- Attend Committee Meetings as needed
Major Activities Include:
- Attend and participate in all Board of Director meetings to include the annual meeting
- Serve on at least one committee and hold one leadership position during the three year tenure
- Report board and committee activities to the Board Members
- Be an active participant in the annual United Way Fund Raising Campaign
- Support the United Way to the extent of your personal financial ability
- Attend at least one state and/or regional United Way program during your three year term
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Define purpose. Approve the Mission, Vision and Values of the United Way of Marshall County (UWMC).
- Provide for excellent management. Select a chief executive officer (CEO); establish goals for executive performance; establish an appropriate compensation program; and conduct periodic evaluation of the CEO’s performance and compensation.
- Establish policies. Approve and periodically review major organizational and Board policies, including the Mission, Vision and Values.
- Ensure program effectiveness. Based on an understanding of Mission, Vision and Values and the needs of UWMC and its supported agencies; approve a strategic direction and measurable goals; approve a strategic plan; review and approve major transactions and significant new programs and services; and monitor organizational performance against goals.
- Ensure financial viability. Establish financial and operating goals; approve financial plan including operating budgets, capital budgets and investment policies; monitor performance against goals; and oversee the annual financial audit.
- Ensure quality of service and Mission effectiveness. Establish goals; approve an annual management plan; and monitor indicators of quality of service and achievement of Mission, Vision and Values.
- Ensure quality of staff. Approve and oversee the process for selection, retention and compensation of staff based on performance.
- Build relationships. Build relationships and reinforce the policies of the UWMC with supported agencies, community leaders and donors.
- Ensure compliance. Establish and oversee programs to ensure that the organization fulfills legal requirements.
- Ensure board effectiveness. Ensure the effectiveness of the Board through regular self-assessment and improvement of the bylaws, role, composition, structure, relationships and conduct of business.
- Live or work in the Marshall County community
- Community leader or highly visible/recognized in the community
- Supports the mission of the United Way
- Willing and able to make the necessary time commitment to the position
- Able to work well with other people
- Good communication and listening skills
- Willing to financially support the annual United Way Annual Campaign
Please contact Linda Yoder, Executive Director for more information or if interested.